Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Tell Your Story Journal Page - April 29, 2010 - Wishes Three

"Tell Your Story"

I will be posting a journal page a day! While I'm taking an online class, through Red Velvet Art (RVA), called Tell Your Story. (registration is closed) It is a 6 week class so, I'll be posting one page a day to my blog for the six weeks.

This will be a visual journey of self reflection via mixed media collage and a personal challenge..

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Wishes Three... can also be seen on my flickr page along with comments from other class members....

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Here's what it says:

Wait!?!?!?!
What is this I have caught in my net? Could it be a mermaid?
Oh NO! I am a water Nixie. If you release me into the sea I will grant you wishes three...
so I put her back into the cool water.
I wish to build a sauna, an art studio & a healthy life; please...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I used today's journal prompt 'three wishes' for my creation "Wishes Three" and I based it on an Andy Warhol dream I had a few years ago while camping...

In my dream I was walking somewhere, down a corridor of a gym. I passed some paintings that seemed too cool to be in a gym, so I had to stop & see (I actually can control my dreams sometimes!). So, I changed the course of my dream in order to get a better look!

The paintings were of these Andy Warholesque women, just their heads, and I loved it! I even woke up to jot it down and make a sketch! I love Andy Warhol! Ummm... I guess you had to be there....? Anyways, I've remembered the dream and when this journal prompt came along I just knew what I'd make...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I did not use the recommended style for today's prompt. Because for me "it is a jumping off point for negotiations" (hee-hee that line is from Clueless, and I love it). I will however put the proper journal prompt in my idea jar. I really like going in my own direction sometimes. I like to try different ways of interpreting a theme. For this one I felt that Grimm's Fairy tales would be at the heart of my theme... so I chose to make a Water Nixie. Although rather wicked in Grimm's world she would be kind in mine.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm working on simplifying my style and learning to use minimalist design and text to express my mood and get across an idea. I started with a monotone palate and as I went along I realized that I could safely use three colors (white, blue, green). I think this page is a huge success for me both in setting limitations and sticking to them!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Ingredients: scrap book papers, glue, glitter, silver doily, white out marker, pens, markers, silver foil pen...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

While I am pushing myself to try new things I feel I need to stay true to my own artistic callings.

Once I knew I was joining this class I made a bunch of random backgrounds not knowing exactly what I would do with them and this one was calling me today! Can you feel it too?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Please look but don't copy.
All comments, thoughts and constructive criticisms welcome!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

xoxo,
Blueberry Blonde

PS: A May 15, 2010 update...
I've recently framed & hung this journal page up!
Click here to see it on my flickr page with comments from other class members.

No comments:

Post a Comment